Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Walking by myself, down avenues; I reek of time to kill.


Election fever is loosening it's vice-like grip on my soul. NOT. I'm serious. I mean, I know everyone else is starting to gradually lose interest, but this here politico, doesn't see that happening any time soon. I suppose when you're going to work for a pollster in DC next fall, that's probably a good thing. But either way, I'm quickly running out of fellow souls with whom to gossip politics (thank god for you, Prof. Lendler- the only other person I know as nerdy about this stuff as I am).

So i'll break it down like I usually do folks- Politics/Movies.

Breaking News!!! Alaska DOESN'T want a convicted criminal to represent their state in Senate!? That is soooo bizarre. Who do these people think they are? Part of the contiguous 48. Pssssh! Go helicopter down large game, that's the way we like you Alaska- like my crazy Uncle Grizz that illegally pilots a plane and puts on firework displays. Insane, but in that eccentric, borderline dangerous and unbalanced way- but always a worth a laugh. Seriously, though, yay for Begich. One more dem. to add to the pile-on. Suck it Reid.

Minnesota. "We're not Florida." Less old people; they can't outrun our wolves.

Gonzalez and Cheney indicted! There IS a god. Jesus, took them long enough. Can't wait to see that idiot go down in flames. He might get convicted of some prison abuse involvement and financial support, but that's what presidential pardons were made for right!?

I saw Solace of course. Midnight showing. Awesome. Loved it. No need to recommend or summarize for you. You knew decades ago if you were going to see this movie.

I also, somewhat spur of the moment, saw Mike Leigh's new film, Happy Go-Lucky. I didn't know anything about it going into it- always bodes well for a film's receptivity, in my opinion- and loved it. Completely character driven narrative, slice-of-life biopic. The acting was superb as usual under Leigh's direction and the various plenary of eccentric cast members made the lack of plot, unnoticeable and frankly, a smart move on Leigh's part. Why tell a story when the people are too interesting to care about anything else? So I see you at home, on your computer, drooling over my every word, because, lets face it, if you're reading my blog, you probably have some deep-seeded longing to be/have me...right? Come on! I need this!!!

Well whatever, I like, don't even care what you think of me....
Unless, you like me. Cause then I care, a lot. But if you don't, it's totally unimportant.

So ANYWAY, there you are at home in front of your various media devices, wondering, well should I see this film? I mean, she likes, it, but she's pretty weird... would a normal person such as myself find it entertaining. All I can say is, yes, IF you like Mike Leigh. It is such a typical movie for him, that comparison to another would be inappropriate and uninformative. So all I can tell you, is: like Leigh, go; don't like Leigh, skip it.

Expostulation: The less work I do (schoolwork) the better grades I get. C'est la vie.

"Live your Life" T.I. feat. Rihanna, is the best pop song to come out this year. Efffing awesome. Girl Talk on the cover of NY Times website- wow, that's impressive.

XOXO

No comments: